Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Two years (warning - may be disturbing)

Two years ago today, I spent most of the day in the ER at Lakeview Hospital. Two years and 1 day ago I was pregnant with my first child, the next day I wasn't. It was a very hard thing for me to go through. I almost bled to death and they were going to give me a transfusion but they didn't have to (luckily).

I woke up that morning and noticed that I was bleeding a lot. I woke up Steve and we drove to the hospital (with me sobbing the entire way). I called work before we left home to leave a message for my boss to let her know I would not be in that day. Once in the ER I had to change into a gown and when I took my pants off more blood fell out (it had been sitting in my garments). That only made me dry harder and Steve went to get someone to help. I called my mom and told her that I was losing the baby and then I couldn't handle talking anymore so I said good-bye and hung up.

They had me have an ultrasound so they could see what was left in the uterus. Then the ER Doctor came and examined me and said that the uterus was closed so they would just have the OB on call check me out and then I could go home. Even though they told me I could go home they wouldn't let me eat or drink anything just in case I needed surgery. My mom and dad came to the ER right after my ultrasound. My dad stayed for about 10-20 minutes and then left to go back to work.

The OB came in and saw me and said everything looked good. He checked the ultrasound report and said that it looked like everything was okay so I would be able to go home soon. He also asked me who my OB was and I explained that my OB left her practice to go to the U of U and she was no longer seeing patients (I think she was doing research and or teaching). He told me that he would be my doctor if I wanted to see him. Prior to this I had only seen female OBs and had a thing against seeing a male OB. Dr. Ward changed my mind about that. I really liked him and he is now my OB, even though he is located in Bountiful and I live in Sandy (hopefully the 20 minute drive wont be hard when I'm in labor).

Right before they were going to send me home I sat up in the hospital bed (I had been laying back trying to be as comfortable as possible). I felt a gush of blood coming out and started feeling dizzy. Dr. Ward told me that I looked really pale (a real feat for me as I am usually pale). He decided at that time that (since the bleeding hadn't stopped) I would need a D&C. Luckily I hadn't had anything to eat or drink and the OR had an opening so they could get me in for the surgery within 20 minutes.

I was taken to the OR and put under anesthesia, the next thing I knew I was being moved from the operating table to the hospital bed. They wheeled me to the recovery room where I stayed for a little bit - until I stopped feeling groggy from the anesthesia. Then I was taken to a Same Day Surgery room where Steve and my mom were waiting. Dr. Ward had talked to them after the surgery was completed (and I was still waking up) and told them that there was an orange peel-like thing still in my uterus and that was why I was still bleeding. My body was trying to expel it but since it wouldn't come out I continued to bleed.

After being in the room for a little bit the nurse came in and gave me something to eat (small package of graham crakers) and a drink. Then she asked if I needed to use the bathroom and I did so I got up and walked to the bathroom. Then I got dressed and they let me go home.

When we got home, around 3, there was a basket of flowers on our doorstep from my co-workers (I called my boss while in the ER and let her know what was going on). I walked to the couch and sat down as Steve asked me what I needed. I needed a shower and food. I took a shower and then my mom and Missee came over (with Violet, even though Missee was afraid it would be hard for me to see a baby like Violet). Steve left then and went to Wendy's to get us something to eat. It was so nice to have actual food after so long.

This all happened on a Monday and I didn't go back to work until Thursday or Friday of that same week. I was only about 11 weeks along, not even through the first trimester. After experiencing that I am afraid I wont be able to get pregnant again, or if I do - that I'll have another miscarriage. I guess Steve and I will just have to take that chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment