Sunday, March 22, 2009

Big Love

I don't subscribe to HBO or watch the show "Big Love" but my dad and sister do. When I heard about the episode that was to show parts of a Temple Endowment ceremony I was understandably upset, being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I didn't want to watch the show, but since my sister TiVos the show she had my mom and I watch the parts in question.

I felt sick to my stomach watching it. They showed parts of a VERY sacred religious ceremony that is very dear to myself and other members of my faith. HBO said that showing the Temple ceremony was important to the storyline. I felt that it wasn't. If they wanted to show the things but not have any words it may have offended me less. One funny thing was that the character who went through the temple (Jeanne Tripplehorn's character) and her mother and sister were told that their 15 minutes in the Celestial Room were up.

The major problem I had with them showing parts of the ceremony was that for non-members it would be out of context. The show wasn't able to convey the feelings you get while in the Temple.

I've thought a lot about this and realized that it is similar to a part from the movie "My Cousin Vinny". In it Ralph Macchio's character is asked when he shot the clerk and he replies in disbelief "I shot the clerk? I shot the clerk?" When that statement is read into record during the trial it sounded like he was confessing. His words were taken out of context the same as the Temple Endowment ceremony could be taken out of context by non-members.

1 comment: